Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Gardening 101

My little flower garden in Mexico has changed quite a bit since last summer. A planting of 2 mini rose bushes, alyssum, green, yellow and orange peppers, cilantro, and now lots of cactus and aloe vera plants. I do not have a natural "green thumb", but I am learning, just like I am with writing and blogging.

This 2015 summer season of gardening in Mexico gave me the opportunity to plant seeds, water, transplant growing plants, and do some weeding and pruning, too. Thanks to a friend, I am getting practical tips on how to make plants and flowers grow.

This writing season (2015) has provided me with a few classes on creative writing, a book on BECOMING A WRITER, a few webinars, email tips for developing the writing skill and craft, guidance and encouragement from some writing friends who understand my insecurities and pray for me, a wonderful mini retreat for writers last January...and a full retreat coming in January 2016. There are many other resources and tools that I've been afforded, but the most important element that I find that I have not completely disciplined myself into using is "time to write." I'm learning a great deal, yet, have not understood the commitment to just sit and write creatively, to experiment with observation and exploration of concepts and ideas.

I know this season of gardening and writing are just a few opportunities that God has given me since I turned 50. I have much more to experience with God as I embrace my older years and cultivate the gardener and writer in training. I have not yet finished living, and look forward to the growing seasons of life ahead!


No comments:

Post a Comment