Sunday, May 31, 2015

Committed to God.

Wow, this morning I heard a powerful sermon by an old friend at the Christian church in San Vicente, Chicoloapan, Mexico. It reminded me of the young, immature girl I was when I made my commitment to follow God at age 11. That was a very long time ago. Yet, I still remember that day as if it was yesterday.

Some of the points shared in this morning's sermon really struck my heart as important. Please allow me to share them and my thoughts on them with you.

Making commitments can be made at any stage of life.
Childhood--When a child makes a commitment, it is difficult for them to fulfill it completely because of their immaturity.
Teenage years--When a teen makes a commitment, it is more realistic to expect a commitment to be carried out, yet the cultural influence of the day has great impact on their decisions and desires.
Adulthood--When an adult, young or old, makes a commitment it is even more important to follow through because they are made with great responsibility and usually affect others, like marriage, family, work, politics, all based on promises, integrity, dependability and faithfulness.

A commitment made by a Christian is even more important in this day and age. We follow Christ's example. The challenge of commitment is multi-faceted. 
1. We are to be loyal to God, focused on and praising only Him.
2. We are to be faithful in obedience to God,
3. We are to be honest.
4. We are to give generously to God and to others.
5. We are to be loving, kind and patient.
6. We are to fellowship and work together, spurring one another to do good things.
7. We are to repent and seek forgiveness as well as forgive others.
8. We are to pray.
9. We are to endure, persevere and be content.
10. We are to grow in faith, love and be filled with the Holy Spirit.

It definitely is a long list, and I'm sure you could add things I have forgotten to mention. These things might seem overwhelming, maybe even impossible.  "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:13.

But, what happens when others offend us, or set a bad example, or murmur, ...or worse?

God calls us to be faithful, anyway. He calls us to be salt and light, to bear witness, give testimony of Christ in you, the Hope of Glory. We have the opportunity to be like Saul, who became the apostle Paul...to ask God what He would have us to do?...then do whatever He calls us to do for His honor and glory.

Choose to declare to God, "me and my house will serve the Lord."
Be encouraged and strengthened by your fellowship with believers in Christ, and focus on Him who loved the Church and gave Himself up as a ransom for all, reading God's Word and seeking out God's wisdom and perfect will.



1 comment: